I was thrilled to meet Ina Garten at the Book Expo America last June. My favorite cookbook author in person!
Somehow The Barefoot Contessa always makes cooking actually seem easy and manageable. I love the tips she gives for foolproof cooking;
1. Read the entire recipe before cooking
2. Follow the recipe precisely for the first time
3. Buy the right ingredients
Seems intuitive and simple enough, right?
I usually only cook one dish everytime I invite friends over, but Foolproof even challenges me to make a whole menu for a dinner party. The Barefoot Contessa suggests strategies on how to organize the cooking so everything is warm when guests are ready. She also has a list of menus for various occasions in the back of the book that references other Barefoot Contessa titles.
In the book she has cocktails, starters, lunch, dinner, vegetables and dessert. What I would love to cook for dinner tonight if I had the time to grocery shop:
![]() |
| Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta |
![]() |
| Chicken with Wild Mushrooms |
![]() |
| P1279 National Book Store |



