Thursday, July 12, 2012

Meet Alyson Noel author of Fated






I flew to Singapore a few weeks ago to meet bestselling author Alyson Noel.  She was there to promote Fated, the first book in her new series Soul Seekers. Her last series, Immortals was a 6 story arc and has sold millions of copies.   We were disappointed that she couldn't come to Manila, but I was determined to convince her to plan a trip.  "I'm here to officially invite you to come to National Book Store in the Philippines," I said as she welcomed me to her hotel room.  We had a lovely conversation, and she signed some books for me.  

Much to my surprise, she emailed me a few days later that she will be cutting the vacation portion of her trip short and work out her schedule so she can come to Manila.  I get to have another conversation with her on  Friday, July 20 at 6pm in Powerbooks Greenbelt. Here is an excerpt from our interview in Singapore, and hope you join us for more next week.

What is Fated about?

Fated involves a new mythology in YA--shamanism and Native American lore.  Daire Santos lives a pretty glamorous life. Her mom is a Hollywood makeup artist and she grew up travelling the globe, moving from movie set to movie set, surrounded by celebrities. This lifestyle has made her vulnerable and lonely. She has never been to a real school.

At 16, she suffered horrible hallucinations and the only one who can help her is a grandmother she has never met who lives in New Mexico.  She has to move to this tiny town. She has to find her way through a new school and make friends and fall in love and learn how to fight the evil that has overtaken this town. 
   
How did you do research for Fated? 

I took a three day shamanism course and had a healing session with the shaman.  I interviewed Native Americans about life on the reservation in New Mexico.  I talked to local teens about their experience in going to high school and growing up there. 

How do you think teens around the world will relate to a story revolving around Native American mythologies? 

Daire's journey is a very universal one that any teen can relate to. She is trying to find her way in the world.  She is trying to meet this destiny of hers that seems overwhelming.  She is falling in love for the first time. 


I enjoyed getting to know this new mythology and tweaking it for the book’s purposes.  I’m not following Native American lore or shamanism strictly, but I learned as much as I can about it in order to tweak it for the needs of the story.   Readers are in for an adventurous, romantic, thrilling and suspenseful ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.