I recently had the privilege of hosting Lauren Oliver in Powerbooks Greenbelt. Lauren's first successful book is Before I Fall. Although she did not deliberately write a genre title, Pandemonium and Delirium is has been successfully riding the wave of the Hunger Games phenomenon. She also has a middle grade book, Liesl and Po. I had fun chatting with her her books, her strong heroines, writing in subways on her blackberry and finding love. She loves high heels and she managed to sneak in some shoe shopping between lunch with fans and the event. I was thrilled when we discovered we owned the same Chloe wedges.
Amor Deliria Nervosa: How did you come up with the idea that love is a disease that must be cured?
I wanted to write a book about love in all its forms:
romantic, familial, social, between friends. The idea for it came when I was on
the treadmill. I seem to get a lot of my good ideas at the shower or the
gym. At the time there was a big
fear over swine flu and bird flu before that. In New York, people were going
crazy over this, bathing in anti bacterial soap, pulling their kids out of
school. I was struck by how media
can drive people in a panic. The two ideas started combining in my head. When you’re in love, one minute you
are ecstatic and devastated the next. With weight fluctuations, sleep
disruptions, the inability to focus on anything other than the other, love has a
lot in common with psychiatric disorders that would normally be treated by
medication.
How is one cured of love?
It would be chemically done via pills. Scientists actually identified the
chemical pathways that light up when you are in love. It might not be too far away to be able to take a pill
if you were heartbroken, or suffered from unrequited love.
How did you create the world of Delirium to make it believable?
The epigraphs quoting from the Book of SHHH were not
supposed to be in the book at all.
I wrote them to help me work out what kind of society it was. What kinds
of beliefs would they hold socially, politically, religiously? What kinds of songs would they
sing? By putting epigraphs, I
could give the reader a lot of little hints without cluttering the book.
Lena, the protagonist in Delirium, was buying into the whole
deal about getting cured, but goes
through a radical change by the end of the book, and is a completely different
character in Pandemonium. How did
you let her character evolve?
My main interest as a writer is character growth and
evolution. I like to think that
she really changes and emerges as an adult in Requiem. When you are a young adult, you go from
child to not, and I’d really like to reflect that in literature.
What can we expect from Requiem?
You can expect me not to say anything about it. One thing I will say, is that Requiem
takes place from 2 different points of view so it’s Lena’s point of you, and
somebody else but not Alex.
Ever since Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I love stories where an
unlikely girl transforms into a kick ass heroine.
How did you shift between two different points of view in
Pandemonium (Then and Now)?
I left Lena in such a bad place after Delirium. She was so
broken down and I felt so bad for her that I needed to believe she had a future
and she would be ok. I started
writing a future for her six months in advance. Then I realized that piggybacking
between "then" and "now" would be a cool way to tell the story of her growth.
What is the message that you want teen girls to take away
from Before I Fall?
It
is a story of interconnection. Our actions have deep ripples on people around
us that in turn ripple back and affect us. It is a book about what ultimately
makes meaning in the world. I would have succeeded just to get readers to ask questions, is my behavior bringing good ripples or
bad ripples.
Were you speaking out against bullying?
I don’t believe happy people are mean and I don’t believe
that mean people can be happy. I
wasn’t a particularly nice girl when I was a teenager. I was also very unhappy
and the more mean I was, the more unahappy I became.
You said that Liesl and Po was your most personal work?
Sometimes it’s my favorite book that I’ve written. Liesl grieves the death of her
father. For much of the book, the world has turned grey. Part of the journey is
restoring color to the world world.
In 2009, I lost my best friend
when he was 29 and it was very devastating to me. A lot of the scenes in
Pandemonium where Lena is running and grieving came from a very personal
place. I think I am still
traumatized by that experience. I
wrote Liesl and Po when I was grieving him and I wanted to write color back
into my world. The book is dedicated to his nieces and nephews and brother and
sister. It has been very healing.
What can we expect from you next?
I’m working on realistic fiction for young adults now. It’s like Before I Fall on the wrong
side of the tracks. It’s a very
different world that I’m exploring and it’s called Panic. I’m also working on
an adult novel. I’m glad my
publisher is very flexible and let’s me explore different genres.
Are any of these books optioned to be movies?
Both Before I
Fall and Delirium have been optioned. A lot needs to happen for both these
books to make it onscreen but I have great producers and a studio behind them.
I was actually reading the Delirium script on the way here. I’m hopeful that one day I’ll be
wearing a fabulous dress on the red carpet.
Do you have any advice for any aspiring writers?
I’m going to put more writing challenges and advice on my
blog, www.laurenoliverbooks.blogspot.com.
The first thing I always say to people is to write everyday. I’ve been writing my whole life and it
took me years from when I started a novel as a freshman in high school at 13 to
when I finished it when I was 21. Finishing
a novel takes time and practice. Write as much as you can until it becomes
habit and you are not playing Angry Birds on your phone. If you have a free
moment in time, what you do is write. When I wrote Before I Fall, I was going
to school, I had a full time job and a part time job and I wrote on the
subway.
Lauren, thanks for coming to National Book Store and Powerbooks and we can't wait until Requiem comes out in November. You left us with such a cliffhanger in Pandemonium.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.