Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Gift #2: Ronald Ventura: Realities


Ronald Ventura: Realities is the gift for art lovers, critics and collectors.  Powerbooks had the opportunity to host a rare Philippine exhibit of Ventura’s works. The paintings were hauled in a few hours before the book launch and brought home that evening.  Indeed the paintings, sculptures and the dioramas esconced in 1950’s tv sets, were larger than life and more arresting visually when they were displayed as a collective.  The question from other guests was, “Do you have a painting in the book?”  Well, no I don’t but I did get a chance to interview the artist. 

As Signore Marella of the Primo Marella Art Gallery says, “We want to give the public the opportunity to meet an artist not when he is 70 years old or dead, but when he is strong and alive.  We can meet an artist living in our age. “

What was the process for putting the book together?

Primo Marella Gallery and Miguel Rosales are responsible for the book. All of the images included in the book come from my past exhibitions.

When did you know that you were an artist?

The artist is the one who creates art. The question is, ‘What is art?’ It doesn’t matter whether it is a painting, a sculpture, an artist is a creator of things. For me, the term artist is very high. It’s hard to say that you are an artist. It always remains a question.

What is your earliest childhood memory wherein you encountered art?

When I was in grade school, I saw the Spolarium of Juan Luna, which is hanging in the National Museum.




Who or what are your artistic inspirations?

My family, wife, kid. Everything from magazines, architecture, fashion to design.  Inspiration is all around us. 

Who are your role models for painting?

Having a role model is like having a formula. I don’t have a formula. I go as natural as I can. 

What was it like to have your first one-man show?

My first one-man show was held at West Gallery way back 2000.  I joined some group exhibitions after graduating from college, so this art scene was not new to me but I grew towards it step by step. 

Which exhibit most defined you as an artist?

I don’t want to define me as this kind of artist. It should be defined by the intention of the exhibition.   Every exhibition should be a certain development from my past exhibits. It is always searching for progress.

What are your upcoming projects or exhbits?

I have an exhbition this December 3, in Taipei, Taiwan, at the Eslite Gallery.  Humanimae—mix of human and animae. It’s about pop culture.  The opening will be exciting because we will be doing some cosplay, as well as some videos and installations. And it will be more of a dialog.

I have a residency at the Singapore Tyler Print Institute and the exhibit is scheduled in July. 

The book was sold out that evening as collectors and critics hoarded multiple copies. (The book is now back in stock in Powerbooks and select National Book Stores).   Here is the team who helped produce the book: his manager Migs Rosales and the team from Push Associates who did the book layout.  I'm also grateful to Migs for making the exhibit and book event possible.  

The book covers a good survey of Mr. Ventura's work.The auction record breaking painting, Grayground,  is printed on a fold out spread to capture the enormity of the painting. 

I got more answers from the essays found in the book.  The articles  from Adjani Arumpac discuss the different themes he explores in his art such as humanimal and cyborg. Alice Guillermo  discusses key works wherein "Ventura's personal aesthetic of the nude is engaged in breaking down the rigid binaries of male-female.    Igan D'Bayan's piece provides a biographical context to his early beginnings as an artist.  International Art Critic Daniela Palazzoli talks about his place in the global art scene.  While Ramon E.S.Lerma comments on Ventura's dioramas as a commentary on media.  

This is the painting that really spoke to me.  I met Mr. Ventura's son who was the model for this work. But it's not for sale.  
I did get to go home with some art. Mr. Ventura signed my book and put in an illustration with some stamp art. 


Anyway, Ventura is not done yet.  He's doing more things that could fill future auctions, museums and monographs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.